The Super Dramatic Life of a Grade Twelver

Wednesday, February 07, 2007


So I was watching One Tree Hill today....yeah, yeah, I know I watch TV alot, but what else can you do while you're doing your homework? Anyways, it was about labels. Labels are kind of like identities that you acquire. These labels often aren't what you think of yourselves, it's how other people perceive you. Even if you like your label, why do you like it? Is it because it endears you to others? Once a label is placed on you, its often easier to just go along with it rather than tear it off and reveal your true identity, or you become so accustomed to it that that label actually shapes who you are and will be. So, what about labels? Are they a problem? Is it as dangerous to generalize a single person as it is to generalize a population? Now, a journal question in Journalism class provided another question in this mess of labels and identity. It asked if we had different identities and for what reasons these identities surfaced. I answered that I thought I did have different identities, in that I acted differently around parents and teachers than I would around friends. The reason for this change in character, it would seem, would be the people around me. I acted differently around different people. If I wanted them to see me a certain way, then maybe I was creating labels for myself. So, in the way of labels, are the people around us all to blame? Anyways, tell me what you think of labels. Do you have a label? If you do, why do you think you have this label? Do you think your label accurately describes who you are?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home